HARMAN PRIVACY STATEMENT
Effective Date: May 1, 2018
This Privacy Statement describes how we use and disclose the information that we collect from you when you visit our website, products, applications, or services that references this Privacy Statement (collectively, the “Services”). Our Services are very diverse, so sometimes additional policies may apply. These additional policies will be available with the relevant Services, and those additional policies become part of your agreement with us if you use those Services.
For the purposes of applicable EU data protection laws and unless otherwise stated, Harman is the data controller and is responsible for the collection and use of your Personal Data.
“Aggregate Information” is information that has been combined with information about other users and analyzed or evaluated as a whole, such that no specific individual may be reasonably identified. For example, Aggregate Information may include a statement that says “50% of our users have used the mobile app in the last month”.
“Cookies” are text files, typically small in size, that are placed on your computer by a webpage server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
“Personal Data” is any information that can be used to identify you, either alone or in combination with other information. Personal Data does not include Aggregate Information or other anonymized information (including metadata) collected by Harman that cannot be used to identify you, even if such information was derived from your Personal Data.
“Usage Data” is information about how you use the Services, such as your browser type, domains, page views, duration, and information about the device you use to access the Services.
“Web Beacons” (also known as “Clear GIFs” and “Pixel Tags”) are small bits of code embedded in web pages or in emails that are used to monitor the behavior of a website user or recipient of an email.
COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We collect Personal Data when we deliver our products, conduct marketing activities, gather feedbacks, provide customer supports, fulfill product orders, and run our business operations. The Personal Data we collect varies based upon whether you are using our Sites, Products, or other Services.
For the information that you provide to us during sign up or when you set up your account or profile, the information we collect may include your name, email address, telephone number, gender, date of birth, country where you reside, and other information that may help is better provide the services to you.
We may also collect information from your use of our Service, such as how you use a particular Service. This information includes:
- Device-specific information. We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information).
- Log information. When you use our Services, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs, such as Usage Data, usage detail and device event information (e.g., crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and referral URL.)
- Location information. We may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors. For example, if our Service can provide driving direction, traffic reporting, recommendation of establishments near your location, and similar services, then we may collect your device’s real-time or compiled geographical information in order to provide such Service to you.
- Unique application numbers. Certain Services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to us at the time of installation or update.
- Information we collect when you are signed in to our Services may be associated with your account. When information is associated with your account, we treat it as personal information.
In addition to the purposes listed above, we may also use your Personal Data to:
- Communicate with you. Obtain your name for purposes of communicating with you and identifying you as a user of the website or product.
- Verify your identity. We may use your Personal Data to verify who you are. For example, we may verify your age or that you have obtained your parent’s or guardian’s permission to use the website or product.
- Send you marketing materials. We may send you marketing materials, such as promotional emails or catalogues, to keep you informed of our upcoming product releases. You generally must opt-in to receiving our marketing materials, and you may opt out of receiving them at any time. For more information on how to opt out, please see YOUR CHOICES below.
- Respond to your questions and fulfill your requests. We may send you communications upon your request or otherwise with your consent.
- Provide support and receive feedback. We may request Personal Data in order to provide support to you. We may also collect Personal Data that are associated with your feedback.
- Process your transactions. We may use your Personal Data that you provide to us in the process of making a purchase to confirm your use of a valid credit card (or other authorized methods of payment), process your payment via a credit card (or other authorized methods of payment), and send you the products.
We also gather non-descriptive, non-identifiable statistical information about how many visitors use our Services, how our users use the Services, how our users access certain content available on our Services, how long our users access certain content, what content our users are accessing, and our user preferences or settings for certain Services. We use this Aggregated Information for statistical analysis of how users make use of the Services so we can better improve our Services.
DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
Although most browsers and devices accept Cookies and other Data Collection Technologies by default, their settings usually allow you to clear or decline Cookies. If you disable Cookies, some of the features of our Services may not be available or function properly.
Interest Based Advertising: We may use vendors to serve advertisements on our behalf across the Internet. These advertising vendors may collect (through the use of Data Collection Technologies) non-identifiable information about your visits to and interactions with our Services. In addition, our vendors may also use the information about your visits to other websites to target advertisements for products and services available from us. If you would like more information about this practice, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/.
Please note: Some web browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” feature (DNT) that signals to the websites that you visit that you do not want to have your online activity tracked. Many websites and applications, including our Services, do not currently respond to web browser DNT signals because such signals are not yet uniform. For more information about DNT signals, please visit http://allaboutdnt.com.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Because we know your Personal Data is important to you, we may share your information for the reason(s) disclosed to you at the time we collect it, with your consent, as well as in the following ways:
- At your direction. We will share your information with third parties if and when you direct us to. For example, you may ask us to share your Personal Data when you wish to interact with other users or post certain information on social media.
- With our Vendors. We may share your Personal Data with our Vendors as necessary to enable them to provide services to us. Vendors are third parties (other companies and individuals) that support the operation and maintenance of our Services.
- With our Partners. We may allow certain third parties, such as car manufacturers or electronic consumer device manufacturers, to integrate components of our Services into their own devices and software. These third parties will use our platform to access your information to facilitate our Services on their device or software. They may elect to collect or use your information using our platform without our knowledge. These third parties are separately responsible for their own privacy policies and practices. In addition, we may collect information about these third party devices or software that you use to help us provide core functions of our Services.
- With our commonly owned entities. We may share your Personal Data with other companies under common ownership and control of Harman, which may include our subsidiaries, corporate parent, or any other subsidiaries owned by our corporate parent. We do this in order to provide you better service and improve your experience.
Your preferences about how we use your information are important to us and, when possible, we aim to honor them. We offer the following choices that you can exercise with regard to your Personal Data.
- Access, modify, or delete your Personal Data. You can contact us at any time to request to access, modify, or delete the Personal Data we possess about you. Please refer to the “Contact Us” section below.
- Opt out of marketing communications. You can opt out of marketing communications by indicating your preference when you sign up for our Services. You may also contact us to opt out of our marketing communications.
- To prevent location information from being collected by us at any time, you can turn off your device’s location-tracking functionality.
- To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, you can install Google’s opt-out browser add-on.
- To opt out of interest-based advertising, you can visit http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/ and follow NAI’s on-screen instructions. Note that if you opt out through the NAI, you will still receive advertising, but the advertising will not be tailored to your interests. In addition, if you opt out through NAI and later delete your Cookies, use a different browser, or buy a new device, you will need you opt out of interest-based advertising again.
- To opt out of ads on Facebook or Google that are targeted to your interests, use your Facebook or Google Ads settings.
- Check your mobile device for settings that control ads based on your interactions with the applications on your device. For example, on your iOS device, enable the “Limit Ad Tracking” setting, and on your Android device, enable the “Opt out of Ads Personalization” setting.
PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We use reasonable organizational and technical security measures designed to preserve the security of your Personal Data, including without limitation, encryption technologies and authentication tools. Note, however, that no data transmitted over the Internet is 100% secure and any information disclosed online can potentially be collected and used by parties other than the intended recipient. As a result, while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our Services.
TRANSFERRING YOUR PERSONAL DATA OVERSEAS
We manage our Services through our teams around the world, including our teams in the United States, India, and European Union. We acknowledge that the data protection laws may be different from country to country, and may not provide the same level of protection. If you visit our Services or contact us from outside of the United States, please be advised that (i) any information you provide to us or that we automatically collect may be transferred to the United States and other countries where our teams are located; and (ii) that by using our Services or submitting information, you explicitly authorize its transfer to and subsequent processing in the United States and other countries where our teams are located in accordance with this Privacy Statement. If you have any questions about our policies for transferring your Personal Data, please contact us as stated below.
We respect the privacy of children. Our Services are not designed to attract an audience younger than 16, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 16. Please contact us using the contact details below if you believe we may have collected information from your child, and we will work to delete it.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Under California laws, California residents can request information from us whether we have disclosed Personal Data to any third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. We will not sell or share your personal information with third-party companies for their direct marketing purposes without your consent. California residents desiring to request further information about our compliance with these laws or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies are welcome to contact us using the contact information below.
THIRD-PARTY LINKS AND SERVICES
We provide links to third party websites operated by organizations not affiliated with Harman. We do not disclose your Personal Data to organizations operating such linked third-party websites. We do not review or endorse, and are not responsible for, the privacy practices of these organizations. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that you visit. This Privacy Statement applies solely to information collected by Harman through the Services.
CHANGES TO THE PRIVACY STATEMENT
From time to time, we may modify this Privacy Statement to accommodate new technology, industry practices, regulatory requirements, or for other purposes. If we make material changes to this Privacy Statement that would impact your continued use of the Services, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you of such changes (including through email, push message, and/or by posting a notice directly to your account), and may also ask you to affirmatively consent to the changes at the time of your next login to the Services. By continuing to use the Services after such notice and/or consent, you agree to be bound by Privacy Statement as modified. If you do not agree with our changes to Privacy Statement, your sole and exclusive remedy will be to discontinue use of the Services.
QUESTIONS AND FEEDBACK
We welcome your questions and comments about this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices. You can also contact us to exercise your privacy rights under applicable law. You can contact us as follows:
Harman International Industries, Incorporated
400 Atlantic Street, 15th Floor
Stamford, CT 06901, USA